The climate in Portsmouth and the surrounding area swings wildly from one season to the next. Winters can be long, harsh and cold and it feels like the icy wind blows constantly.
Summers, on the other hand, are hot and muggy. It’s a great place to live if you like variety in the weather. One of the downsides our climate is that it’s ideal for a number of pests and they’ll take every chance invade your home or business.
What types of Pests Are Common in Portsmouth?
It’s estimated that there are more than 20,000 species of bugs, insects, spiders, and insect-like critters living in Virginia. Thankfully most of them prefer to live outdoors. When bugs and animals make their way into homes and buildings, they’re considered pests. The most common pests in Virginia include:
- Bees and Wasps
- Bed Bugs
- Rodents (mice and rats)
- Wildlife (racoons, squirrels, opossum, etc.)
Why Are Household Pests a Big Deal?
There are several reasons that you don’t want to share your home or office with pests. First, it’s just creepy to see them scurrying about as you try to live and work. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Rodents and other wildlife can carry diseases, viruses, and bacteria that can make you seriously ill. Bed bugs can cause severe allergic reactions. Termites literally eat wood and they can destroy your home’s structure making it weak and uninhabitable. And, the longer a pest infestation is ignored, the bigger the problems it can cause and the more expensive it will be to fix it.
How to Keep Common Pests From Invading Your Home and Buildings
In a perfect world, bugs and other creepy crawlies would stay outdoors where they belong. But, your home is attractive and there’s no way to keep them all out. You also can’t eliminate all the possible pests in your area. But, you can take steps to make your home or commercial space inhospitable to pests. To keep pests from entering your home or business, you have to be diligent and take action including:
- Clean up after meals, wash dishes, and keep your food prep areas clean.
- Take the trash out and make sure it’s in a sealed container away from your home.
- Seal up holes and cracks around windows, doors, and any other entrance to the home.
- Clear dead or overgrown foliage and piles of dead leaves from around your home.
- Make sure pet food bowls and water containers are regularly cleaned.
What Are the Signs of a Pest Infestation?
Even with your best efforts, pests can still make their way into your home. It’s wise to spend some time inspecting your home on a regular basis to look for indications of pest activity. It can be difficult to spot some pests, like termites, which can hide in walls and under floors. Some classic signs of a pest infestation to look for include:
- Spotting large numbers of insects in or around your home,
- Wasp nests or beehives built into your home, garage, or other structures,
- Rodent droppings along baseboards and behind appliances,
- Cockroach eggs and droppings or live cockroaches scurrying away,
- Scratching sounds in the walls or floors,
- Damage to your home’s structure (termites),
- Itchy red welts on your skin or other indications of allergic reaction to insect bites.
What To Do If Pests Have Invaded Your Portsmouth, Virginia Home
If you suspect that you have a pest infestation, you may be tempted to go to the local big box store for a DIY pest control solution. Be very careful whenever handling any off-the-shelf pesticides.They’re laden with potentially dangerous chemicals and must be applied with precision. Too much and you may harm your family and pets. Too little and you won’t get the results you want. It’s simply not worth the risk. Pest control should always be handled by a licensed pest control company like Adibug.
Request Professional Pest Control Services in Portsmouth
If your home is being invaded by cockroaches, termites, rodents, or any other pest, rely on us to get rid of them and keep them away for good. Our certified technicians have the training and experience it takes to effectively treat your home or business. We ensure they always have the proper treatments, tools, and equipment to tackle any pest control problem safely and effectively. Schedule an appointment today for a free, no-obligation quote for pest control services.